Instrumentation, Controls & Electrical Technician
Iowa Fertilizer Company (IFCo) is looking for an IC&E Technician (Instrumentation, Controls & Electrical Technician) to be responsible for the support of field instrumentation, analytical and monitoring systems. This individual will provide maintenance (preventive and corrective) and trouble-shooting of basic process control (BPC) and safety instrumented systems (SIS). Preferred candidates will have chemical plant experience with emphasis on field instrumentation and analytical support.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
At a minimum, tasks will include:
- Inspection of field instrumentation and verification of manufacture calibration, onsite calibration, and testing.
- Final control element inspection and troubleshooting, repair and rebuild, replacement and installation according to engineering standards, best practices, and manufacture recommendation.
- Calibration, troubleshooting, testing, and documentation of analytical equipment.
- The position will require some medium to large size control and instrumentation hardware support. While providing this primary support, the I&C Technician will interface with maintenance personnel, plant technicians and operations department. This position requires individuals to work well both independently and in a team environment.
- Commissioning and startup activities including, instrument loop inspection, loop check, configuration, calibration, and testing. Mechanical installation, function checking, stock testing, of final control elements.
- Experience with and troubleshooting of critical instrumentation on Real-time operation of a PSM site.
- Safety driven mentality with dedication to process safety systems integrity and availability.
- Final control elements installation, mechanical repair, calibration, and stroke testing.
- Analytical equipment expertise, troubleshooting, calibration, documentation for both monitoring and supervisory systems (mass spectrometer, CEMS, O2 Combustibles, NOx, infrared, conductivity, and gas chromatograph).
- Practical knowledge of Motor Starters, MCCs, VFD, and 480 volt three phase systems.
- Support and maintenance of DCS, SIS, and PLCs based systems. Practical experience with hardware of Rockwell A.B (ControlLogix & CompactLogix), Schneider Electric hardware (Modicon, Quantum), and Siemens PLCs (S7-400) is desired.
- Dedication to documentation updates and creation for plant specific maintenance tasks including calibration, maintenance, and troubleshooting procedures. Update and follow plants instrument scope P&I and wiring diagrams, loop diagrams, cable scheduling, and instrument lists sheets.
- Practical knowledge of Motor Starters, MCCs, VFD, 4,160 volt and 480 volt three phase systems.
- Analytical equipment expertise in troubleshooting and calibration of PH, conductivity, density and ammonia equipment.
- Follow company safety and health guidelines and other company policies.
- Ability to climb straight ladders.
- Some work may require heights in excess of 100 feet.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Physical requirements – bending, kneeling, lifting up to 50lbs.
- Confined space entry may be required.
- Wearing a respirator when/where required to perform inspections/job duties.
- Industrial chemical plant environment.
- Wearing hearing protection in areas with high noise levels.
- All other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED, along with a 4-year apprenticeship, or an Associate Degree in Industrial Instrumentation and Controls and/or relevant work experience.
Experience and Qualification
- 5 years practical experience in supporting environmental compliance in the chemical industry or other industrial manufacturing, or analytical laboratory or environmental consulting. Fertilizer manufacturing experience is a plus.
- Advanced understanding and hands on experience of process analytical equipment (troubleshooting, calibration, sample switching logic, calibration gas replacement procedures, and documentations)
- Advanced understanding and hands on experience of control valves actuators, positioners, feedback, smart positioners, and solenoids.
- Advanced understanding and hands on experience of smart transmitters, sensing elements, transducers, and transmitters. Experience with calibration, configuration and repair of measurement/control instruments for flow, level, pressure, differential pressure, vibration, temperature, and ph.
- Practical knowledge of DCS & PLC control systems hardware, electrical motor controls, and VFDs.
- Familiar with HART communication protocols. IEC standards, ISA standards, PSM sites and process safety management, MOC procedures, and electrical and process LOTO.
- SAP experience a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to gather and evaluate complex information.
- Ability to use personal computer software for word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
- Valid driver’s license required.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skill, tasks, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, IFCo reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as business needs arise. In compliance of EEOC regulations, if the employee cannot perform the essential functions of this position in a satisfactory manner, further accommodations shall be made if it does not constitute undue hardships upon this organization.
Title: IC&E Technician
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: IC&E Supervisor
Location: Wever, Iowa (Burlington, IA area)
Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check, pre-employment physical and drug screen. A valid driver’s license is required. Iowa Fertilizer Company is an equal opportunity employer that recruits, hires, trains, and promotes regardless of race, color, veteran status, age, disability, sex, national origin or religion. We value diversity in our workforce and in the communities we serve.