MECHANICAL ENGINEERING CO-OP
Iowa Fertilizer Company (IFCo) is looking for a Mechanical Engineering student to join our Maintenance & Reliability team in a Co-op position. The student will be responsible for assisting the Operations and Reliability groups with projects and initiatives to provide support to the facility as a whole.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Tasks may include, but not limited to:
- Project management for small projects.
- Process data collection and reporting.
- Development of projects based on operational needs and process optimization.
- Implementation of predictive and preventative maintenance activities.
- Planning and execution of plant maintenance, inspections or testing.
- Participate in root cause analysis and troubleshooting.
- Read, interpret, and verify Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs).
- Review technical documents such as P&IDs, piping isometric drawings, area plot plans, specifications, process flow diagrams or mechanical drawings.
- Review document transmittals from engineering firms to find discrepancies or non-compliance with IFCo standards.
- Assist staff engineers with large projects and help with documentation.
- Conduct safety observations and reviews in the plant.
- Follow company safety and health guidelines and other company policies.
- Ability to climb straight ladders.
- Some work may require heights in excess of 100 feet.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Physical requirements – bending, kneeling, lifting up to 50lbs.
- Confined space entry may be requested.
- Wearing a respirator when/where required to perform inspections/job duties.
- Industrial chemical plant environment.
- Noise levels may require hearing protection.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license. Always ensure HR has a copy of a current, valid license on file.
- All other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Junior or higher student actively pursuing a B.S. Degree in Mechanical Engineering. Minimum of 2.75 GPA required.
Experience and Skills
- Ability to work with little supervision and be a self-starter.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and projects
- Ability to work in a team environment and have the flexibility to perform a variety of duties.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to use personal computer software for word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
- Ability to gather and evaluate complex information.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality requirements of company data.
Title: Mechanical Engineering Co-op
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt (Hourly)
Reports to: Reliability Superintendent
Department: Maintenance & Reliability
Location: Wever, Iowa (Burlington, IA area)
Iowa Fertilizer Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Netherlands-based OCI N.V., a global leader in nitrogen fertilizer production. OCI N.V. has an international fertilizer distribution platform spanning from the Americas to Asia.
Nitrogen fertilizer accounts for about 60 percent of global fertilizer use, so the output of the Iowa Fertilizer plant will drastically reduce U.S. dependence on imported fertilizer. In addition, a domestic fertilizer source will save farmers across the country millions of dollars annually.
OCI N.V. is a global producer of natural gas-based chemicals based in the Netherlands. The Chemicals segment produces nitrogen fertilizers, methanol and other natural gas-based products, serving agricultural and industrial customers from the Americas to Asia. We rank among the world’s largest nitrogen fertilizer producers with current production capacity of nearly 7 million metric tons in the Netherlands, the United States, Egypt and Algeria. We are also the largest merchant methanol producer in the United States. OCI N.V. employs more than 75,000 people in 35 countries and is listed on the NYSE Euronext in Amsterdam.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skill, tasks, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associate with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, IFCo reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as business needs arise. In compliance of EEOC regulations, if the employee cannot perform the essential functions of this position in a satisfactory manner, further accommodations shall be made if it does not constitute undue hardships upon this organization.
Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check, pre-employment physical and drug screen. A valid driver’s license is required.
Iowa Fertilizer Company is an equal opportunity employer that recruits, hires, trains, and promotes regardless of race, color, veteran status, age, disability, sex, national origin or religion. We value diversity in our workforce and in the communities we serve.