Iowa Fertilizer Company (IFCo) is looking for a Tax Accountant to join our Finance team in Urbandale, Iowa. The tax accounting role is responsible for assisting with state tax registrations and other filing requirements, monthly/quarterly reporting, compiling information and timely payment of taxes. This role will help ensure that accounting procedures are followed, and accuracy is maintained in the recording of taxes and revenue for the Iowa Fertilizer organization. In addition, this role will provide support to other accounting functions such as monthly close process, general accounting, audit, budgeting, and forecasting.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
At a minimum, tasks will include, but not limited to:
- Submission of monthly or quarterly sales tax numbers to 40+ states for N-7 LLC.
- Registration for state sales tax licenses in any new states in which N-7 LLC plans to transact business.
- Monitor Canadian sales growth and determine if registration is needed for GST.
- Collect exemption certificates or direct pay permits from new customers or from existing customers who are being sold product in new states.
- Monitor exemption certificates on file to be sure a new one is collected when the current one expires or if circumstances change.
- If no customer exemption certificate can be obtained or the customer is not exempt, confirm the customer is set up correctly to collect sales tax.
- Work with accounts payable to remit sales tax and income tax to applicable states.
- Complete and provide sales tax exemption certificates to our suppliers and maintain tax exemption registrations in each state where N-7 LLC purchases product.
- Work with external tax consultants on the state income tax estimate that is processed quarterly.
- Complete product registrations in all necessary states for all products sold into those states.
- Initial registration and annual renewal and fee payment for fertilizer licenses in each state in which N-7 LLC does business.
- Report tons distributed into the respective states on a monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, or annual basis depending on the state requirements for fertilizer licenses and feed licenses.
- Initial registration and annual renewal and fee payment for feed licenses in each state in which N-7 LLC does business.
- Monitor property tax assessments and payments for Iowa Fertilizer Company, LLC.
- Initial registration for withholding tax / worker’s compensation in states with employees, if any employees are housed in different states other than those already registered.
- Ensure any fees associated with taxation (for example, tonnage fees) are passed on to the customer if N-7 LLC is responsible to pay the tonnage fee to the state.
- Provide support to accounting functions during close process, forecasting and budget.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license. Always ensure HR has a copy of a current, valid license on file.
- All other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
Experience and Qualifications
- Three to five years related experience and/or training.
- Public Accounting experience and CPA certification and/or MBA a plus.
- Extensive knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within accounting.
- Experience with SAP a plus.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality is required.
- Must have strong computer skills and be proficient in Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Good punctuation, spelling, grammar and attention to detail a must.
- Self-motivated, able to perform with minimal supervision, results oriented
- Ability to travel domestically (likely 10-20%).
- Valid driver’s license required.
Title: Tax Accountant
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Accounting Project Manager
Location: Urbandale, Iowa (Des Moines, IA area)
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skill, tasks, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associate with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, IFCo reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as business needs arise. In compliance of EEOC regulations, if the employee cannot perform the essential functions of this position in a satisfactory manner, further accommodations shall be made if it does not constitute undue hardships upon this organization.
Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check, pre-employment physical and drug screen. A valid driver’s license is required.
Iowa Fertilizer Company is an equal opportunity employer that recruits, hires, trains, and promotes regardless of race, color, veteran status, age, disability, sex, national origin or religion. We value diversity in our workforce and in the communities we serve.